Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Hatch Revisited

At the shop, we have a blog that we are supposed to occasionally write in, and therefore, spill all of our secrets about our days of fishing.
I have a blast while reading through my fellow employees tackling big fish, but I never want to divulge of my secret spots.
As a local flyfisherman, I have been blessed with many private water fishing opportunities. I constantly fish the Upper Provo, on the Diamond Bar Ranch, as my friend Phil has allowed me to be on his property for the last 5 years. I have pulled out 3 fish over 22 inches, all brown trout. Thanks Phil!
I have access to the Wright ranch on Tabiona, which I consider the “Montana of my youth” as has been stated by Norman McLean. In fact, I fished it today in the thickest Green Drake and Golden Stonefly hatch of my life.
I fished it with a high school buddy, Dave K. As we reminisced about “cruisin” in either the Chevette (don’t be jealous!) or the Scirocco, pickin up on ladies on State Street, playin hoops on Donner Hill, listening to Milli Vanilli and Led Zeppelin (I’m quite the contrastical individual when it comes to musical taste) and our favorite girls at that time, we politely rope-a-doped on brown and cutthroat trout, which happened to be gorging themselves on every fly thrown their way.
We fished Impearsonators, Half-down Goldens, Micro Mayfly emergers, and Platte River Spiders. We caught plenty of fish, and more than I can count on my fingers and toes…but really, I just wanted one.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is a Green Drake adult. They are so beautiful. Yes, bugs need love too!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Bunyan Bug, Stonefly #2 ;)


Happy Fishing to All and to all a Big Cutt!

No comments: