Sunday, May 27, 2007

Good Ol' Roy

One of my favorite lines from the cinematic world comes to full fruition when Roy Hobbs relaxes in a thoughtful pondering stare and calmly says, “I Love baseball.” The Natural is an all-time classic, and I think about the way Redford exclaims the joy of his life so solemnly.

This is the way I feel about flyfishing. I don’t believe I could ever leave the mountains, as I have stated before. Mountain streams, great rivers and just the presence of water send chills down my back. I still cannot believe my good fortune in landing a job at a fly shop. In just a short month, I have learned about how good rods are made, how a drag works on a reel, more knots than I care to mention, entomology, and the realization that there are others just like me who love fly fishing more than life itself!

I feel so free in knowing that I LOVE getting up every morning to go to work and feeling so passionate about my surroundings, confidence in my ability to communicate with customers, relive fishing experiences with others, hearing wild stories of both maddening frustration coupled with extreme joy, and working in a calm atmosphere. Here’s the great thing: It does NOT feel like work.

The habits I have created at work have crossed over into my living situation as well. I am constantly cleaning my bathroom, vacuuming my floor about twice a week, folding clothes perfectly, and tying flies for about two hours every night.

I also treasure my time to fish, and love having any opportunity I can get to cast new rods, test out new reels, and continue to educate myself about running a successful fly fishing business.

The Green Drakes will be poppin soon, as will the Golden Stoneflies. I will write again when these gorgeous mayflies make their presence known. Until then, Fish On!

No comments: